XR® Geomembranes are designed with the strength and durability necessary for secondary containment of spills for a short period, even under catastrophic circumstances. XR Geomembranes are designed to resist puncture, withstand long-term contact with leaked commercial jet fuel, and successfully handle thermal expansion-contraction.
Why Choose Geomembranes Over Concrete for Primary and Secondary Containment?
When considering options for primary and secondary containment, concrete is a common choice for several reasons. Aside from being durable, concrete:
- Is resistant to the elements, including UV rays, precipitation, and variations in temperature
- Provides a stable working platform resistant to traffic forces from heavy equipment
However, reinforced flexible membrane liners are a better option for secondary containment of spills because unlike concrete, secondary containment liners don’t leak, are less expensive and don’t require costly subgrade consideration and amendment.
Oily Wastewater Containment
XR Geomembranes are widely used as secondary containment liners for oily wastewater. Per the Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasures (SPCC) Rule by the Environmental Protection Agency, secondary containment is required for facilities with oil-filled equipment. Geomembrane liners are a cost-effective and proven solution for oil secondary containment systems.
Fuel Storage Secondary Containment
In the event of a leak or spill, secondary containment is typically a requirement for any location storing or handling fuel. Polyurethane tank liners offer tough protection and strength, as they were developed specifically for above-ground tank bottom liners and pillow tanks for containment and storage of fuel and other harsh chemicals. Polyurethanes are engineered to resist abrasions, punctures, and corrosion caused by harsh chemicals.
Looking for fire retardant protection for a secondary containment of aboveground flammable or combustible liquids? Learn more about the XR-FR Fire Retardant Flexible Geomembrane.
- White XR-5 membrane used on the First LEED Certified Fuel Storage Facility in the US
- XR-5 Geomembranes Line Pearl Harbor Storage Tanks
- Seaman Geomembrane Installed as Part of Secondary Containment System for Containment Tank at Craney Island
- Railyard chooses XR-5 to Provide Secondary Containment for Diesel Tanks
- XR-5 Geomembranes Line Above Ground Crude Oil Storage Tanks
- XR-5 Geomembranes Line Jet Fuel Tank Farm
- XR-5 Geomembrane Liners Used for Secondary Containment at Electrical Substations
- XR-5 Geomembranes Flexible Solution for Substation Liners